Uncle Tom's Memory Quilt






Preparing the last Quilt-as-you-Go panel for Uncle Tom's Memory Quilt
Attaching the chequer-board edging 
Attaching the bias binding from Seasalt Cornwall
Uncle Tom's Norwich City Quilt

I am naming this quilt 'Unforgettable' in memory of my Uncle Tom

I have just lost a dear uncle. My Uncle Tom (Tommy) had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's a while back, but it was when he was omitted to hospital and then moved to a Norwich Care Home that prompted me to set about making him this little lap quilt. My design consists of six panels of Norwich City themes that I connect in my mind with Uncle Tom and I included some little tactile extras.


'Norwich'

Reviewing our shared Family Tree I note on his timeline that ancestors were all firmly based in Norwich or its Norfolk surrounds. Trade craft skills on his paternal side: upholsterer his Father (also Thomas). Whereas, his Grandfather (also Thomas) and Great Grandfather (Charles) worked in the shoe making industry which was big in Norwich at one time. A couple of his Great Aunts were dressmakers who once owned a shop in Norwich centre. 

On his maternal side: connections going back to the North Norfolk coast; Great, Great grandfather, Samuel was a Rope Maker. My Nan, (Tom's mother) was an expert knitter, so crafts and the coastal connections have been a thread that has run through the generations.
Music and Nature
Panel 2  - The Norwich City Football Club Badge


Norwich City Castle - Textile Design by Debra Hall getsmartthroughart@gmail.com
Norwich Cathedral - Textile Design by Debra Hall getsmartthroughart@gmail.com
NCFC Football memory quilt motifs


Three Footballs

'Football'

Football was a huge passion for Uncle Tom. He played football when he was young, and was a life long Norwich City fan. Along with my aunt, he'd rarely miss a home game. In his younger years, Uncle Tom travelled widely with his job at Laurence Scott & Electromotors (Carrow Works). He married my aunt when he was in his thirties and they lived together in Wymondham, Norfolk. A little later the two moved to a village east of Norwich city. On retirement he would help my aunt with her catering business.

'I Got You Babe'

Uncle Tom enjoyed music, especially the songs by Nat King Cole. When I was little he'd pull me to him playfully, singing the line from Sonny and Cher's 'I Got You Babe!' 

Unfortunately, I didn't manage to finish the quilt in time as Uncle Tom passed away on October 1st this year. Nevertheless, I thought I would continue and finish it in his honour. I intend to gift it to my Aunt and hope that she treasures it because it was made with warm thoughts and genuine love.

In Memory of Thomas (Tommy, Tom) Stubbs b.1932 - d. 2018 

Comments

Popular Posts