Book Review - Anna Mason's Watercolour World

  • Hardcover: 144 pages
  • Publisher: Search Press(UK) (27 Mar. 2018)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-13: 978-178221- 347-5
  • Product Dimensions: 22.6 x 1.6 x 28.7 cm


Anna Mason's Watercolour World - Front Cover


Image from the design 'Peonies'  taken from Anna Mason's Watercolour World

Book Review *****

My post, last week, was a book review of a title from the Paint in 30 Minutes series from the same publisher as this book Anna Mason's Watercolour World by www.searchpress.com all of which presents a number of Watercolour painting projects with step-by-step instructions. However, this book is a different kettle of fish because the objective and the approaches are not the same. Therefore, it depends what your purpose is and what you are aiming to achieve before deciding how's best to spend your money.


With this title you'll be working at creating designs like Mason's that are realism pieces. Mason is an award winning botanical artist who paints from photography. The photographic tips provided will be useful if you've never staged settings or produced shots of lifestyle quality. As a long time blogger my photography isn't too bad (that's my Peony above enhanced with a filter), it is merely a shot from my mobile phone, but I've learned a couple of new things I can do with my PowerShot camera from Mason's tip sharing.

For me, it's Mason's fruits and flowers are particularly impressive, and the wonderful full colour photographic presentation in the book shows everything off to its upmost best.  

There is an element of the cathartic in regard to painting for personal or psychological healing and there are shots of Mason in a garden setting looking relaxed and taking time out with a cuppa to help channel through that message. This is forgiven however, as Anna Mason seems entirely personable and it is nice to 'meet' her; and because the book is quite comprehensive in what it offers overall.

I haven't tried any of the projects as yet, but it was surprising for me that a spark of interest was shown from my non-arty family members when they flicked through the pages. Therefore, I'd recommend  this is a nice book to own for the beginner or for those who are more advanced in this art form.


Comments

Popular Posts