Making Quilts and Badges from T-shirts - Book Feature


I have a friend who is a talented quilter and our craft group have made small quilted items under her direction. All four of us have visited a quilt exhibiting gallery at one time or another. So I was very interested in having the chance to feature the ideas given in The T-Shirt Quilt Book by Lindsay Conner and Carla Hegeman Crim for three reasons:

1. Because the idea of making keepsake quilts from tees which represent the wearers' fandom fancies; be it music related, sporting related, fundraising related – whichever - is such a good one. The t-shirting fabric lends itself so wonderfully in being able to represent a favourite theme into a very personal, one-of-a-kind keepsake for someone to treasure, or to commemorate someone or something special in such a tactile and pleasing format.

2. Because my own interest in the theme of this book strays ever so slightly as I have a new hobby. I’ve started putting patches on clothes and this book gives me loads of ideas for me to customize clothing with handmade badges that I can make from charity shop purchases, not only second hand T-shirts, but baby sleep suits stealing away their cute graphics; padded baby books and padded wall hangings, bed quilts etc. etc., Note: the following five designs are my own and do not appear in the book










3. Because the drain on the earth's resources involved in producing masses of cotton T-Shirts is so costly in such an immeasurable enormity (as represented in the following video) so goes to prove that producing this wardrobe staple has consequences in terms of environmental impact, therefore the idea of reusing existing clothing items this way is an eco-friendly thing to do and very valuable in that sense.





Today, the book I feature has contributed to me having one or two light bulb moments. Block building info; templates and full instructions for 8 projects are also included in the book, yet I'm a fan of it mostly because of the images and suggestions it has given me in terms of creative ideas of how to reuse my charity shop finds.

Here are some images from the book:







Here's some t-shirt quilts featured on Pinterest 


The T-Shirt Quilt Book is available from Amazon
Disclosure applies see here


Direct your stockist enquiries to: https://www.searchpress.com/book/9781617455308/the-t-shirt-quilt-book

Comments

Popular Posts